Ahead - definition, pronunciation, transcription
- toward the future; forward in time (syn: forward)
- in a forward direction (syn: forrader, forward, forwards, onward, onwards)
- ahead of time; in anticipation (syn: beforehand)
- to a more advanced or advantageous position
- to a different or a more advanced time (meaning advanced either toward the present or toward the future)
- leading or ahead in a competition
Our team was ahead by three points.
Turn left and then go straight ahead.
He kept his gaze fixed on the car ahead.
A hill loomed ahead of them.
We could see the lights of Las Vegas up ahead.
The clinic was now in sight, some way ahead.
The river is eight miles away dead ahead.
Henry hurried on ahead (=went in front of the others).
He stared straight ahead.
The ship forged ahead through the thin ice.
There were four people ahead of me at the doctor's.
You have a long trip ahead of you.
Problems may lie ahead.
We do not foresee any major changes in the years ahead.
Unless we plan ahead (=plan for the future) we are going to be in a mess.