Atmosphere - definition, pronunciation, transcription
- a unit of pressure: the pressure that will support a column of mercury 760 mm high at sea level and 0 degrees centigrade (syn: atm)
- the mass of air surrounding the Earth (syn: air)
- the weather or climate at some place
- the envelope of gases surrounding any celestial body
- a distinctive but intangible quality surrounding a person or thing (syn: air, aura)
Experts have noticed changes in the atmosphere.
Meteoroids burn up as they pass through Earth's atmosphere.
The planets have different atmospheres.
a country inn with lots of atmosphere
The food was good but the restaurant has no atmosphere.
The hotel had a lovely relaxed atmosphere.
The atmosphere at home was rather tense.
An atmosphere of optimism dominated the conference.
The castle was centuries old and full of atmosphere.
The match was lacking in atmosphere.
there was an atmosphere of excitement
there was great heat as the comet entered the atmosphere
the atmosphere was thick with fog
an atmosphere of defeat pervaded the candidate's headquarters
She creates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere for her guests.