Center - definition, pronunciation, transcription
- the piece of ground in the outfield directly ahead of the catcher (syn: centerfield)
- a building dedicated to a particular activity (syn: centre)
- a point equidistant from the ends of a line or the extremities of a figure (syn: centre, midpoint)
- the choicest or most essential or most vital part of some idea or experience (syn: centre, core, essence, gist, heart, inwardness, kernel, marrow, meat, nitty-gritty, nub, pith, substance, sum)
- the object upon which interest and attention focuses (syn: centre)
- a cluster of nerve cells governing a specific bodily process (syn: centre)
- (basketball) the person who plays center on a basketball team
- (football) the person who plays center on the line of scrimmage and snaps the ball to the quarterback
- a place where some particular activity is concentrated
- politically moderate persons; centrists
- (ice hockey) the person who plays center on a hockey team
- the sweet central portion of a piece of candy that is enclosed in chocolate or some other covering
- mercantile establishment consisting of a carefully landscaped complex of shops representing leading merchandisers; usually includes restaurants and a convenient parking area; a modern version of the traditional marketplace
- the position on a hockey team of the player who participates in the face off at the beginning of the game
- (American football) the position of the player on the line of scrimmage who puts the ball in play
- a position on a basketball team of the player who participates in the jump that starts the game
- direct one's attention on something (syn: centre, concentrate, focus, pore, rivet)
- move into the center (syn: centre)
The staircase is in the center of the building.
They are at the center of a furious debate over whether or not to expand the city's public transportation system.
The vaccine is being tested at several medical centers around the country.
Center the picture on the wall.
...centered administrative duties under the command of a single person...
Allergic Disease Center
Center for Disease Control
it is in the center of town
he hit the ball to deep center
they were raising money to build a new center for research
his stories made him the center of the party
in most people the speech center is in the left hemisphere
they had to reinforce the center
they received messages from several centers
it is a center's responsibility to get the football to the quarterback