Cipher - definition, pronunciation, transcription
- a mathematical element that when added to another number yields the same number (syn: 0, cypher, nought, zero)
- a quantity of no importance (syn: aught, cypher, nada, naught, nil, nix, nothing, null, zero, zilch, zip, zippo)
- a person of no influence (syn: cypher, nobody, nonentity)
- a secret method of writing (syn: cryptograph, cypher)
- make a mathematical calculation or computation (syn: calculate, compute, cypher, figure, reckon)
a cipher that can't be decoded
She was nothing more than a cipher.
...were surprised by how much we had spent on the cruise after we had ciphered out the grand total...
He was employed in ciphering and deciphering the letters.
At work, she was a cipher, a functionary, nothing more.