Death - definition, pronunciation, transcription
- the permanent end of all life functions in an organism or part of an organism
- the absence of life or state of being dead
- the time when something ends (syn: demise, dying)
- the time at which life ends; continuing until dead (syn: last)
- the personification of death
- a final state (syn: destruction, end)
- the act of killing
Birth, life, and eventual death
The newspaper did not report the cause of death.
People around the world mourned his death.
The accident resulted in two deaths.
The number of deaths from cancer is rising.
He died a violent death.
There has been a death in the family.
The general met his death on the battlefield.
The death of a marriage
Death could be seen lurking in the corner of the painting.
It'll be the death of me.
The death of his mother came as a tremendous shock.
Cancer is the leading cause of death in women.
How Danielle met her death (=died) will probably never be known.
His friend was close to death.