Diagonal - definition, pronunciation, transcription
- a line or cut across a fabric that is not at right angles to a side of the fabric (syn: bias)
- an oblique line of squares of the same color on a checkerboard
- (mathematics) a set of entries in a square matrix running diagonally either from the upper left to lower right entry or running from the upper right to lower left entry
- a punctuation mark (/) used to separate related items of information (syn: separatrix, slash, solidus, stroke, virgule)
- having an oblique or slanted direction (syn: aslant, aslope, slanted, slanting, sloped, sloping)
The blanket is covered with diagonal stripes.
...the diagonal design ran up the wall all the way from the lower left to the upper right-hand corner...
...the ramp was set at a low diagonal to make it easier for physically challenged patrons...
the bishop moves on the diagonals
a diagonal line across the page
a number of corresponding diagonal points