Element - definition, pronunciation, transcription
- an artifact that is one of the individual parts of which a composite entity is made up; especially a part that can be separated from or attached to a system (syn: component, constituent)
- any of the more than 100 known substances (of which 92 occur naturally) that cannot be separated into simpler substances and that singly or in combination constitute all matter
- the most favorable environment for a plant or animal
- one of four substances thought in ancient and medieval cosmology to constitute the physical universe
- the situation in which you are happiest and most effective
- a straight line that generates a cylinder or cone
Water is composed of the elements hydrogen and oxygen.
...a free press is an essential element of a democracy...
Calculation and geometry and all the other elements of instruction.
The Celtic and Teutonic elements in the population.
His very soul was elemented of nothing but sadness.
Honesty is a vital element of her success.
Besides ability, the other essential element in political success is luck.
Business and management elements are built into the course.
Mendeleev's Periodic Table of the Elements
Some fishes can live a long time after removal from their element.
There's always an element of risk in this kind of investment.
the grammatical elements of a sentence
a component or constituent element of a system
water is the element of fishes
the alchemists believed that there were four elements