Encounter - definition, pronunciation, transcription
- a casual or unexpected convergence (syn: meeting)
- a casual meeting with a person or thing
- a hostile disagreement face-to-face (syn: confrontation, face-off, showdown)
- come upon, as if by accident; meet with (syn: bump, chance, find, happen)
- be beset by
- experience as a reaction (syn: meet, receive)
- contend against an opponent in a sport, game, or battle (syn: meet, play)
We encountered problems early in the project.
The pilot told us that we might encounter turbulence during the flight.
Her suggestion has encountered a lot of opposition.
a chance encounter with a famous writer
He's accused of having had sexual encounters with several young women.
There was a violent encounter between fans of the opposing teams.
It was her first encounter with cigarettes.
It was his first serious encounter with alcohol.
They encountered serious problems when two members of the expedition were injured.
The government has encountered strong opposition to its plans to raise income tax.
The doctor had encountered several similar cases in the past.
I first encountered him when studying at Cambridge.
She didn't remember our encounter last summer.
His first encounter with Wilson was back in 1989.
Bernstein began training the young musician after a chance encounter at a concert (=a meeting that happened by chance).
present participle: encountering
past tense: encountered
past participle: encountered