Eruption - definition, pronunciation, transcription
- symptom consisting of a breaking out and becoming visible
- (of volcanos) pouring out fumes or lava (or a deposit so formed) (syn: eructation, extravasation)
- a sudden violent spontaneous occurrence (usually of some undesirable condition) (syn: irruption, outbreak)
- a sudden very loud noise (syn: bam, bang, blast, clap)
- the emergence of a tooth as it breaks through the gum
...a great eruption of glee as it suddenly dawned on her that she had won...
...the eruption of the volcano Krakatoa was one of the most violent in global history...
...the movie's volcanic eruption is so naturalistic that it's easy to forget that it all came out of a computer...
...an eruption of sectarian violence that proved to be the prelude to all-out civil war...
When an eruption involves the whole surface, it is said to be universal.
The eruption of the volcano covered states as far away as Montana in a fine layer of ash.
The volcano is still active, as evidenced by the recent eruption.
The recent outbreak/eruption of racial violence in the area is very troubling.