Example - definition, pronunciation, transcription
- a representative form or pattern (syn: model)
- something to be imitated (syn: exemplar, model)
- punishment intended as a warning to others (syn: lesson)
- an occurrence of something (syn: case, instance)
- a task performed or problem solved in order to develop skill or understanding (syn: exercise)
He set a good example for the rest of us.
She gave several examples to show that the program is effective.
We've chosen three examples of contemporary architecture for closer study.
A classic example of a Persian rug
A fine example of the artist's work
The dictionary includes thousands of examples.
Let these unhappy examples be a warning to others.
Can anyone give me an example of a transitive verb?
This church is a good example of Gothic architecture.
She cited a number of recent examples to support her theory.
Certain life events have to be registered by law. The most obvious examples are births, marriages and deaths.
Her courage is an example to us all.
Parents should set an example for their children.
I suggest you follow Rosie's example (=copy her behaviour) and start doing regular exercise.
The team captain leads by example.