Gun - definition, pronunciation, transcription
- large but transportable armament (syn: artillery, ordnance)
- a person who shoots a gun (as regards their ability) (syn: gunman)
- a professional killer who uses a gun (syn: gunman, gunslinger, hitman, shooter, torpedo, triggerman)
- a hand-operated pump that resembles a pistol; forces grease into parts of a machine
- a pedal that controls the throttle valve (syn: accelerator, gas, throttle)
- the discharge of a firearm as signal or as a salute in military ceremonies
a gun battle between gang members and the police
She claimed that the gun went off accidentally.
She let the car coast down the hill, then gunned it.
The shortstop gunned the ball to first base.
Wilfred went pasty, indeed, thinking his host was going to gun him.
They wanted to be alert, gunning everything.
I could see he was carrying a gun.
I've never fired a gun in my life.
Jake was pointing a gun at the door.
Two policemen were killed in a gun battle.
Gun the engine!
two runners started before the gun
present participle: gunning
past tense: gunned
past participle: gunned