Gay - definition, pronunciation, transcription
- full of or showing high-spirited merriment (syn: jocund, jolly, jovial, merry, mirthful)
- given to social pleasures often including dissipation
- brightly colored and showy (syn: brave, braw)
- offering fun and gaiety (syn: festal, festive, merry)
- homosexual or arousing homosexual desires (syn: homophile, queer)
The band was playing a gay tune.
the gayest of the spring flowers
a bar that is frequented by gays
Their costumes were gay with ribbons.
She felt excited and quite gay.
a campaigner for gay rights (=equal treatment for gay people)
when hearts were young and gay
a poet could not but be gay, in such a jocund company
a gay old rogue with an eye for the ladies
a dress a bit too gay for her years