Get up - definition, pronunciation, transcription
- get up and out of bed (syn: arise, rise, turn out, uprise)
- raise from a lower to a higher position (syn: bring up, elevate, lift, raise)
- cause to rise
- develop (syn: work up)
- put on special clothes to appear particularly appealing and attractive (syn: attire, dress up, overdress, prink, rig out, trick out, trick up)
- arrange by systematic planning and united effort (syn: devise, machinate, organize, prepare)
- study intensively, as before an exam (syn: bone, bone up, cram, drum, grind away, swot)
I hate getting up early.
I like to get up to soft music, not shouting voices.
Get me up at six.
There's a wind getting up. I hope the boats are safe.
I doubt if I shall ever get up any keenness for the game again.
Mary got herself up in a nice new dress.
...you need to get right up when the alarm goes off in the morning...
...all got up in her Sunday best...
Whatever will the students get up to next?
I get up at 7 A.M. every day