Give - definition, pronunciation, transcription
- be the cause or source of (syn: afford, yield)
- transfer possession of something concrete or abstract to somebody
- convey, as of a compliment, regards, attention, etc.; bestow (syn: pay)
- give as a present; make a gift of (syn: gift, present)
- dedicate (syn: devote, pay)
give priority to
- transmit (knowledge or skills) (syn: impart, leave, pass on)
- leave with; give temporarily
Can I give you the children for the weekend?
- place into the hands or custody of (syn: hand, pass, pass on, reach, turn over)
- give entirely to a specific person, activity, or cause (syn: commit, consecrate, dedicate, devote)
- give or convey physically (syn: apply)
- bestow (syn: render)
- give food to (syn: feed)
- break down, literally or metaphorically (syn: break, cave in, collapse, fall in, founder)
- estimate the duration or outcome of something
- execute and deliver
- deliver in exchange or recompense
- perform for an audience
- be flexible under stress of physical force (syn: yield)
- accord by verdict
- submit for consideration, judgment, or use
give an excuse
- allow to have or take
- proffer (a body part)
She gave him a camera for Christmas.
Are you giving this to me or only lending it?
She has given money to many worthy causes.
They're asking people to give money for a new hospital.
Please give to our charity.
We already gave at the office.
It is better to give than to receive.
He gave me the letter.
He gave her his coat to hold.
He gave me a head start.
Give me that plate, please.
Give me Mr. Black, please.
We gave her flowers for her birthday.
They gave five dollars for the picture.
She gave the porter a dollar for carrying her suitcase.
give back — pay back
give forth — give out (breath or an odor)
give in — yield to another's wish or opinion
give off — have as a by-product
give out — give off, send forth, or discharge; as of light, heat, or radiation, vapor, etc.
give up — lose (s.th.) or lose the right to (s.th.) by some error, offense, or crime
present participle: giving
past tense: gave
past participle: given
Please, register on our website at registration page. After registration you can log in and use that feature.