Refuse - definition, pronunciation, transcription
- refuse to accept (syn: decline, pass up, reject, turn down)
- elude, especially in a baffling way (syn: defy, resist)
- refuse to let have (syn: deny)
- resist immunologically the introduction of some foreign tissue or organ (syn: reject, resist)
- refuse entrance or membership (syn: reject, turn away, turn down)
When they offered me the money, I couldn't refuse.
They asked her to help but she refused.
...refuse had littered the playground until our volunteer group cleaned it up...
He refused them nothing.
Brakes refused to act.
She refused to see him.
She asked him to leave, but he refused.
I absolutely refuse to take part in anything illegal.
Mom flatly refused to go back into the hospital.
When he offered all that money, I could hardly refuse (=could not refuse), could I?
She refused a second piece of cake.
The offer seemed too good to refuse.
She was refused a work permit.
He refused my offer of hospitality
The offer was too good to refuse.
present participle: refusing
past tense: refused
past participle: refused