Roughness - definition, transcription
- the quality of being harsh or rough or grating to the senses (syn: harshness)
- an unpolished unrefined quality (syn: crudeness)
- used of the sea during inclement or stormy weather (syn: choppiness)
- rowdy behavior (syn: disorderliness, rowdiness, rowdyism)
- the formation of small pits in a surface as a consequence of corrosion (syn: indentation, pitting)
- harsh or severe speech or behavior
He trimmed the rough edge of the paper.
We traveled over rough dirt roads.
They hiked through rough terrain.
We were a bit shaken from the plane's rough landing.
He went through a rough patch after his divorce.
They've hit a few rough spots in their marriage.
Despite a rough start, the team won more games this season than last.
The engine is running a little rough.
Life has been treating her pretty rough.
He plays rough with the dog.
people living rough on the streets
He hit his drive into the rough.
He showed me a few roughs of the new building.
He was called for roughing the kicker.
men associate the roughness of nonstandard working-class speech with masculinity