Address - definition, pronunciation, transcription
- the place where a person or organization can be found or communicated with
- the act of delivering a formal spoken communication to an audience (syn: speech)
- the manner of speaking to another individual
- a sign in front of a house or business carrying the conventional form by which its location is described
- written directions for finding some location; written on letters or packages that are to be delivered to that location (syn: destination)
- the stance assumed by a golfer in preparation for hitting a golf ball
- social skill (syn: savoir-faire)
- give a speech to (syn: speak)
- put an address on (an envelope) (syn: direct)
- direct a question at someone
- address or apply oneself to something, direct one's efforts towards something, such as a question
- greet, as with a prescribed form, title, or name (syn: call)
- access or locate by address
- speak to someone
- adjust and aim (a golf ball) at in preparation of hitting
I've addressed the letter, but it still needs a stamp.
The package is sealed; it just needs to be addressed.
We spent the afternoon addressing invitations to all our friends.
The letter was returned because it had been addressed incorrectly.
She ignored most of the people at the table, addressing only the man who was sitting next to her.
One of the characters addresses the audience directly throughout the play.
Most of the speaker's remarks were addressed to those with experience in the industry.
Before the awards were given, the mayor addressed the crowd.
Write your name, address, and phone number in the spaces provided.
We listened to the President's inaugural address on the radio.
She was asked to give a formal address at the ceremony.
Please write down your name and address on a postcard.
The black footman persecuted her with his addresses.
With the charms of beauty she combined the address of an accomplished intriguer
When she spoke, she addressed him in English, but with a heavy French accent.
present participle: addressing
past tense: addressed
past participle: addressed