Hold back - definition, transcription
- refrain from doing (syn: forbear)
- wait before acting (syn: hold off, wait)
- secure and keep for possible future use or application (syn: hold, keep back, retain)
- hold back; keep from being perceived by others (syn: conceal, hold in)
- prevent the action or expression of (syn: keep, keep back, restrain)
I held back from jumping into the cold water.
Police horses were used to hold back the crowd.
Heavy rain held us back.
...the only thing holding Joe back from joining the swim team is lack of transportation...
...held back her tears until she was alone...
What's holding you back?
For them to hold back their opinion was wrong.
She struggled to hold back her tears.