Check - definition, pronunciation, transcription
- an appraisal of the state of affairs (syn: assay)
- the bill in a restaurant (syn: chit, tab)
- the state of inactivity following an interruption (syn: arrest, halt, hitch, stay, stop, stoppage)
- additional proof that something that was believed (some fact or hypothesis or theory) is correct (syn: confirmation, substantiation, verification)
- a mark indicating that something has been noted or completed etc. (syn: tick)
- something immaterial that interferes with or delays action or progress (syn: balk, baulk, deterrent, handicap, hindrance, impediment)
- a mark left after a small piece has been chopped or broken off of something (syn: chip)
- a textile pattern of squares or crossed lines (resembling a checkerboard)
- the act of restraining power or action or limiting excess (syn: bridle, curb)
- obstructing an opponent in ice hockey
- (chess) a direct attack on an opponent's king
- make an examination or investigation
- be careful or certain to do something; make certain of something (syn: ascertain, assure, control, ensure, insure, see)
- lessen the intensity of; temper; hold in restraint; hold or keep within limits (syn: contain, control, curb, hold, hold in, moderate)
- stop for a moment, as if out of uncertainty or caution
- slow the growth or development of (syn: delay, retard)
- be verified or confirmed; pass inspection (syn: check out)
- be compatible, similar or consistent; coincide in their characteristics (syn: agree, correspond, fit, gibe, jibe, match, tally)
- block or impede (a player from the opposing team) in ice hockey
- develop (a child's or animal's) behavior by instruction and practice; especially to teach self-control (syn: condition, discipline, train)
- consign for shipment on a vehicle
- hand over something to somebody as for temporary safekeeping
- abandon the intended prey, turn, and pursue an inferior prey
- stop in a chase especially when scent is lost
- mark into squares or draw squares on; draw crossed lines on (syn: checker, chequer)
- decline to initiate betting
- hold back, as of a danger or an enemy; check the expansion or influence of (syn: arrest, contain, hold back, stop, turn back)
- place into check
- write out a check on a bank account
- find out, learn, or determine with certainty, usually by making an inquiry or other effort (syn: ascertain, determine, find out, learn, see, watch)
- verify by consulting a source or authority
- arrest the motion (of something) abruptly
- make cracks or chinks in (syn: chink)
- become fractured; break or crack on the surface only (syn: break, crack)
Please give the schedule a check to see if the times are correct.
I gave the ingredients list a quick check to see if the cereal contained any sugar.
She ran a quick check of the computer to make sure it was working properly.
The police ran a check on the license plate and found out that the car had been stolen.
He was penalized for an illegal check.
He made out the check to me and signed it, and I deposited it in my account.
Do you want to pay in cash, by check, or by credit card?
a fabric with a blue and yellow check
Make sure to check your spelling.
She checked her makeup in the mirror.
We should check the equipment to make sure that it's working properly.
The guards checked my passport.
He checked his watch and saw that it was almost noon.
I'll just check the map to see where we are.
I'll check the newspaper to see when the movie starts.
check out — examine so as to determine accuracy, quality, or condition
present participle: checking
past tense: checked
past participle: checked