Irregular - definition, pronunciation, transcription
- merchandise that has imperfections; usually sold at a reduced price without the brand name (syn: second)
- failing to meet a standard of manufacture due to an imperfection
- deviating from normal expectations; somewhat odd, strange, or abnormal (syn: atypical)
- lacking continuity or regularity (syn: temporary)
- (of a surface or shape); not level or flat or symmetrical
- independent in behavior or thought (syn: maverick, unorthodox)
His behavior as a teacher was highly irregular.
Her application was handled in an irregular manner.
The stone has an irregular shape.
He has a very irregular schedule.
The festival has been held at irregular intervals.
It has a highly irregular shape, covered in bumps and indentations.
He's receiving medication for an irregular heartbeat.
Beamish only returned to Britain at irregular intervals.
Funeral directors often work long, irregular hours.
It would be highly irregular (=extremely irregular) for a minister to accept payments of this kind.
The club were found guilty of financial irregularities.
walking was difficult on the irregular cobblestoned surface
she led a somewhat irregular private life
Irregular suckling is a fruitful cause of illness in the infant.
Working irregular hours is all part and parcel of being a journalist.