Second - definition, pronunciation, transcription
- an indefinitely short time (syn: bit, minute, mo, moment)
- the fielding position of the player on a baseball team who is stationed near the second of the bases in the infield
- a particular point in time (syn: instant, minute, moment)
- following the first in an ordering or series
- a 60th part of a minute of arc (syn: arcsecond)
- the official attendant of a contestant in a duel or boxing match
- a speech seconding a motion (syn: endorsement, indorsement)
- the gear that has the second lowest forward gear ratio in the gear box of a motor vehicle
- merchandise that has imperfections; usually sold at a reduced price without the brand name (syn: irregular)
- transfer an employee to a different, temporary assignment
We sat in the second row.
the second house on the left
B is the second letter in the alphabet.
That's the second time I've seen him today.
Chocolate is my first choice; vanilla is my second choice.
The chair needs a second coat of paint.
She plays second violin in the city orchestra.
Just a second, please.
He stood second in line.
He is the second Napoleon.
These stockings are seconds and have some slight defects.
The motion has been seconded.
She was seconded to the Foreign Office.
Jill's been seconded to the marketing department while Dave's away.
Clinton's second term in office
present participle: seconding
past tense: seconded
past participle: seconded