- the act of terminating a life (syn: killing)
- the destruction of an enemy plane or ship or tank or missile
the pilot reported two kills during the mission
- the body of an animal, or bodies of animals, killed by a person or another animal
- cause to die; put to death, usually intentionally or knowingly
This man killed several people when he tried to rob a bank
The farmer killed a pig for the holidays
- thwart the passage of (syn: defeat, shoot down, vote down)
kill a motion
- end or extinguish by forceful means (syn: stamp out)
- be fatal
drunken driving kills
- be the source of great pain for
These new shoes are killing me!
- overwhelm with hilarity, pleasure, or admiration
The comedian was so funny, he was killing me!
- hit with so much force as to make a return impossible, in racket games
She killed the ball
- hit with great force
He killed the ball
- deprive of life
AIDS has killed thousands in Africa
- cause the death of, without intention
She was killed in the collision of three cars
- drink down entirely (syn: down, drink down, pop, toss off)
She killed a bottle of brandy that night
- mark for deletion, rub off, or erase (syn: obliterate, wipe out)
kill these lines in the President's speech
- tire out completely
The daily stress of her work is killing her
- cause to cease operating
kill the engine
- destroy a vitally essential quality of or in
Eating artichokes kills the taste of all other foods
The disease has killed thousands of people.
Three people were killed in the accident.
A chemical that kills weeds
A disease that can kill
Taking drugs to kill the pain
Despite protests, the mayor killed the program.
The committee killed the bill.
This delay has killed our chances of finishing the project on schedule.
She told him to kill the lights.
The prisoners killed a guard during the escape.
She dressed up to kill all other girls.
She just killed the audience.
It nearly killed me.
His constant failures killed his ambition.
I killed the pain with drugs.
— kill en masse; kill on a large scale; kill many
present participle: killing
past tense: killed
past participle: killed