Position - definition, pronunciation, transcription
- a point occupied by troops for tactical reasons
- a way of regarding situations or topics etc. (syn: perspective, view)
- the arrangement of the body and its limbs (syn: attitude, posture)
- the relative position or standing of things or especially persons in a society (syn: status)
- the spatial property of a place where or way in which something is situated
- the appropriate or customary location
- (in team sports) the role assigned to an individual player
- the act of putting something in a certain place (syn: emplacement, location, placement, positioning)
- a condition or position in which you find yourself (syn: situation)
- a rationalized mental attitude (syn: posture, stance)
- an opinion that is held in opposition to another in an argument or dispute (syn: side)
- an item on a list or in a sequence (syn: place)
- the post or function properly or customarily occupied or served by another (syn: lieu, place, stead)
- the act of positing; an assumption taken as a postulate or axiom
- put into a certain place or abstract location (syn: lay, place, pose, put, set)
From this position, you can see all of New York City's skyline.
Actors, please assume your positions. The show is about to begin.
The child fell asleep in a sitting position.
I was in an uncomfortable position and had to move.
I was uncomfortable, so I shifted position.
Return your seat to an upright position for landing.
He positioned the chairs around the table.
The company is positioning itself to take advantage of a new market.
The shortstop was positioned well to make the play.
She positioned herself by the door.
The city was put into a position to stand a siege.
They took the position that further resistance would be useless.
It is an edict, which contains many extraordinary positions and pretensions.
Uniformed constables had been positioned to re-direct traffic.
This strategy will position us advantageously in the market.
present participle: positioning
past tense: positioned
past participle: positioned