Fall - definition, pronunciation, transcription
- the lapse of mankind into sinfulness because of the sin of Adam and Eve
- a downward slope or bend (syn: declension, declination, decline, declivity, descent)
- a lapse into sin; a loss of innocence or of chastity
- the time of day immediately following sunset (syn: crepuscle, crepuscule, dusk, gloaming, nightfall, twilight)
- a free and rapid descent by the force of gravity (syn: drop)
- a sudden sharp decrease in some quantity (syn: dip, drop)
- move downward and lower, but not necessarily all the way (syn: come down, descend, go down)
fall prey to an imposter
fall into a strange way of thinking
fall by the wayside
- be captured
- occur at a specified time or place
The accent falls on the first syllable
- yield to temptation or sin
- lose office or power
- to be given by assignment or distribution
- move in a specified direction
- come into the possession of (syn: accrue)
- fall to somebody by assignment or lot (syn: light)
- be inherited by (syn: devolve, pass, return)
- slope downward
- drop oneself to a lower or less erect position
- fall or flow in a certain way (syn: flow, hang)
- assume a disappointed or sad expression
- be cast down
- come out; issue
- be born, used chiefly of lambs
- begin vigorously
- go as if by falling
- come as if by falling (syn: descend, settle)
An apple fell from the tree.
A vase fell off the shelf.
Rain fell from the sky.
The sound of the falling rain
She slipped and fell on the ice.
He fell flat on his face.
She was afraid that I would trip and fall.
He fell down the stairs.
One of the sailors had fallen overboard.
He fell back onto the bed.
A fall from a horse
She's had several bad falls in recent years.
A fall of three feet
The rise and fall of the tide
She went off to college in the fall.
fall back — fall backwards and down
fall behind — retreat
fall down — lose an upright position suddenly
fall in — break down, literally or metaphorically
show more (4)
present participle: falling
past tense: fell
past participle: fallen
Please, register on our website at registration page. After registration you can log in and use that feature.