Range - definition, pronunciation, transcription
- the limits within which something can be effective (syn: reach)
- a large tract of grassy open land on which livestock can graze
- a series of hills or mountains (syn: chain)
- a place for shooting (firing or driving) projectiles of various kinds
- a variety of different things or activities
- (mathematics) the set of values of the dependent variable for which a function is defined (syn: image)
- the limit of capability (syn: compass, grasp, reach)
- a kitchen appliance used for cooking food (syn: stove)
- move about aimlessly or without any destination, often in search of food or employment (syn: cast, drift, ramble, roam, roll, rove, stray, swan, tramp, vagabond, wander)
- have a range; be capable of projecting over a certain distance, as of a gun
- range or extend over; occupy a certain area (syn: straddle)
- lay out orderly or logically in a line or as if in a line (syn: array)
- feed as in a meadow or pasture (syn: browse, crop, graze, pasture)
- let eat
- assign a rank or rating to (syn: grade, order, place, rank, rate)
...knew exactly how many head of cattle were turned out on the range that morning to graze...
...didn't know she had such a wide range of knowledge until I talked to her...
The selection of food ranged from mild to very spicy.
Items on the menu range from American fare like hamburgers and hot dogs to Italian pasta dishes.
Grizzly bears range over a much smaller area than they once did.
The plant once ranged across the island.
All the enemy's guns were ranged against us from both sides.
The path ranges with the brook.
He ranges with the great writers.
I'm surprised to hear that he has ranged himself with the workers.
His feelings on the matter have ranged from bitterness to hope.
The cattle range over many miles in search of food.
You'll inevitably see something in the shop's range of goods.
The drug is effective against a range of bacteria.
A fairly narrow range of people are responsible for key decisions.
present participle: ranging
past tense: ranged
past participle: ranged