Deal - definition, pronunciation, transcription
- an agreement between parties (usually arrived at after discussion) fixing obligations of each (syn: bargain)
- (often followed by `of') a large number or amount or extent (syn: batch, flock, heap, lot, mass, mess, mint, mountain, peck, pile, plenty, pot, raft, sight, slew, spate, stack, wad)
- a plank of softwood (fir or pine board)
- wood that is easy to saw (from conifers such as pine or fir) (syn: softwood)
- the type of treatment received (especially as the result of an agreement)
- the act of distributing playing cards
- the act of apportioning or distributing something
- take into consideration for exemplifying purposes (syn: consider, take)
- take action with respect to (someone or something)
- succeed in doing, achieving, or producing (something) with the limited or inadequate means available (syn: contend, cope, get by, grapple, make out, manage)
- administer or bestow, as in small portions (syn: administer, allot, dish out, dispense, distribute, lot, shell out)
- be in charge of, act on, or dispose of (syn: care, handle, manage)
- behave in a certain way towards others
- distribute cards to the players in a game
- direct the course of; manage or control (syn: carry on, conduct)
- give out as one's portion or share (syn: apportion, portion out, share)
- give (a specific card) to a player
It's your turn to deal.
Each player is dealt five cards.
She was dealt a full house.
Dealing out the cards for a game of poker
The offending players were dealt harsh penalties.
She got caught dealing drugs in school.
I have a deal to look after.
I lost heavily in the last deal.
The deal fell through.
A deal was struck after lengthy negotiations.
He dealt her out a pittance of an allowance.
Same punishment was dealt out to everyone.
Each of the terms mentioned above is dealt with in more detail in Chapter Three.
We ourselves shall one time or other be dealt with as we deal with others.
She has always dealt fairly by me.
present participle: dealing
past tense: dealt
past participle: dealt